Monday, December 1, 2008

International Cheese Display


"The French say 'fromage,' the Spanish say 'queso,' I just say YES!"






This is my first post in what is apparently a pop culture phenomenon amongst young people. Personally I'm not really one for fads (I don't want to do MySpace and it took a lot of persuading for me to join Facebook), but out of sheer desperation I must have some sort of outlet for what's going on in my head. To make a long story as succinct as possible: I recently finished graduate school, I'm unemployed, living with my parents, and frantically trying to find a job in a shitty economy. So... I've decided that I will start a blog about things I adore and things I abhor. And possibly I'll throw in something that strikes me as particularly humorous. My first post will explain why I've named my blog International Cheese Display. Primarily it is because I love cheese more than an individual rightly should, but also it is the first in my archive of things I adore.


This Thanksgiving my cousin came to visit in the evening after he had gone to a very fancy Thanksgiving Day Buffet at the Marriott. Chic. He brought along the menu so we plebians could peruse the offerings of such a lavish spread. While he explained some of the finer delicacies and said he was far to interested in the "real food" to bother with the fresh fruit trays I spotted something that made my heart skip a beat.


"Wait...does this really say International Cheese Display?" I asked, waiting with baited breath.


He then confirmed that yes indeed there had been an entire table of cheeses from around the world. I truly don't know when I started to love cheese so much or exactly why, all I know is that friends who stupidly decide to stand in front of a cheese platter at parties have nearly been stabbed to death by those multicolored, plastic party skewers that are made to resemble swords. In all honesty, a cheese tray does not need to be international in nature for me to love it. I'm perfectly happy with those grocery store platters that carry the classic four: cheddar, colby-jack, pepper jack, and swiss. For that matter I'm also satisfied by a can of low brow spray cheese, as long as I'm given some means of eating it (cracker, cardboard, finger).


All I can say is that a party host/hostess gets my thumbs up if they supply cheese at their party, and a double thumbs up if there is more than one kind. I truly hope that one day I will get to feast my eyes upon a landscape of international cheeses...and that I will be able to stop myself from knocking over that display while in a cheese-induced intoxication.




2 comments:

Jimbo: Cleveland said...

I'm immediately seeking out international cheese dispays...in hope of inviting you so we can scarf down copious amounts of cheese together.

skw said...

there is only ONE cheese worth getting "backed up" for...and that's smoked pepper jack cheese from the cheese house (?) in Blue Crick. lmao!