Monday, December 22, 2008

Christmas Movies/Television Specials

Christmas movies are tricky for me because there are so many to love. First off, probably one of my favorite is a crudely taped amalgamation of Christmas specials from the late 80’s. My mother, in all her greatness, somehow recorded A Charlie Brown Christmas, Garfield’s Christmas, A Muppet Christmas Special, A Clay-mation Christmas starring the California Raisins, and the pinnacle: Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton’s Christmas at Home, all on one VHS cassette. My sister and I still roll on the floor with laughter (mostly at the old retro commercials) and shed a tear when Linus recites the real meaning of Christmas to Charlie Brown. I’m also an avid fan of the quintessential How the Grinch Stole Christmas (animated version) and A Muppet Christmas Carol (if you haven’t seen it, RUN to the rental store and get it…you won’t be disappointed). There’s also nothing like new classics: Home Alone, Miracle on 34th Street, Love Actually, Elf, and Fred Claus (mostly because in my heart Vince Vaughn can do no wrong). I also have been known to watch the oldies like It’s a Wonderful Life and non-Christmas films that have become twisted holiday traditions: Misery starring Kathy Bates (if you really want to know you can ask). But my favorite of all favorites, one that I could literally watch through all 30 hours on the TBS marathon is…A Christmas Story. Never have I loved a Christmas movie as much as this nasty little heart-warming number. There are far too many quotes to blurt out and leg lamps to light for this one blog post. However, I will advise that if you are in the Cleveland area, and who wouldn’t want to be, please do yourself a favor and visit the Christmas Story House. It is magical.

Now on to what I hate. I’ll make it quick. If you are going to make a new holiday film…fine. Be my guest. Just do it in a classy fashion like the ones I mentioned above. If I stumble onto one more horrible Lifetime/Hallmark/ABC Family Christmas movie I’m going to vomit up my Fruity Pebbles. Honestly, I find movies whose plot involves a lonely divorcee falling in love with a department store Santa Claus a little insulting. To top it off they name these movies things like “Santa Baby” and “All I want for Christmas is Love.” It’s not that I think heartwarming tales of miracles and goodwill is such a bad thing, I just think that some of these films are so trite that an old granny would laugh outloud at them. But I said I’d make this quick so…moving on.

No comments: