Saturday, December 5, 2009

Full House

As of today, I have been living with my parents for 14 months and 15 days. Of all the things I thought I’d do after finishing graduate school, needing to move back home was not on my list. But, if you care to remember, the economy bailed on its American children like a deadbeat Dad. What a douche. So here I am, bunking with Ma and Pa. Before I “analyze” this stage of my life I just want to issue this caveat: I love my parents very much and I am thankful everyday that they welcomed me home with open arms, free living accommodations, and food. That being said…I sure as shit miss my independence. Here are just a few of the pros and cons of my situation…so if you are faced with moving back home (as it appears many people my age are) you will have some points on which to base your decision.

Accommodations

Cons: As often happens when children leave the nest, their space gets turned into an office or guest bedroom. My dad dreamed of a place for his long-hoped for Bowflex, but my mom vetoed that and my room became a huge closet. For instance, right now all the Christmas presents are piled atop my old furniture. So I inhabit my sister’s old bedroom, which has two twin beds in it. Bitch time: I miss my double bed. There I said it. Even my dorm bunk was better because it was extra-long at least. My feet hang over the edge of my current bed and I almost rolled over the side several times before I got used to the size of it. This Thanksgiving it was sort of bizarre to sleep in the same room with my sister. We kinda felt like Bert and Ernie. I also don’t have a lot of room for my clothes so for about six months I lived out of four suitcases (partly because I’m lazy, partly because I thought it felt too permanent and defeatist to unpack).


Pros: I have my own bathroom!! I’ve never had my own bathroom before…and might not ever again when I (finally, hopefully, one day, soon) move out. But right now, in my parent’s house I do! Suffice it to say, no one really wants to use my bathroom because my products and dirty clothes make it nearly impossible. But I have to claim one private space right? Also my parents have Dish network!! Over 200 channels! They got this after I went to college…so I feel like this is my time to make good use of it….which I do…all day.

Food and Beverage

Cons: I’m gaining weight.

Pros: When I was in graduate school I went through a phase of seeing how little I could spend on food. And while one night I found myself eating a bowl of corn and a piece of bread and butter, I lost weight and had plenty of money for weekend festivities. But now that I’m home there’s a veritable smorgasbord in our kitchen. Name brands! Full course meals! And my parents pick up the check when we go out to eat. (It doesn’t help that my dad always orders the onion ring appetizer at Applebee’s). So it seems that prosperity does make people fat. Also I’m convinced that when you move back home you go through a period of light alcoholism. For awhile my mom would oblige when I asked her to buy me a twelve pack, and I took the liberty of casing the liquor cabinet. Look, I know it sounds bad…but I don’t have an Xbox and a whole stash of weed to pass my daytime boredom. I snapped out of it when I saw that half the recycling was Keystone Light cans. Yeah. Embarrassing.

Roommates (aka “My Parents”)

Cons: I’d lived pretty much independently for the six years preceding my return as the prodigal daughter. So since high school I’d only had smallish doses of my parents. But now they are my roommates, landlords, what have you. I think one of the truly horrible and, at the same time, amazing things about parents is that even if you love them they can irritate the living shit out of you. And it’s pretty much universal. Let’s take my mom for instance. She tends to belabor points. (In laymen’s terms she nags…but that’s a tidge harsh no?) I know she does this because she cares and she’s scatterbrained and busy and goofy. But still…I’ve been known to come to my breaking point with a harsh “I GET it Mom, ok?? I GET it!” (You can judge me right now if you want. Go ahead).

And my dad…well he’s a whole different can of nuts. He’s a practical joker and the disregard of societal norms doesn’t embarrass him in the least. He’s like a man-child when it comes to clothing. Some days he decides that he wants to wear cowboy boots with dress pants or…whoa nelly wait for this…white socks with black loafers and a brown belt. He also fancies himself an “artist.” Honestly he borders on genius when it comes to concocting crazy projects he morphs from ideas on the DIY channel. He’s into making lamps out of nontraditional objects (think bowling balls, jars of marbles, liquor bottles, skulls…kidding!!) and recently he began chopping up old records for his designs. I thought he had dropped some acid one day when he said he wanted to buy canvases, spin them around really fast, while dripping paint on top. (Parental drug-based humor. What? I don’t like literary boundaries.) I’m convinced that if he didn’t marry my mom he’d live in a huge house full of his manic designs. And he’d have a long braided pony-tail. And wear white socks with black loafers and a brown belt.

And remember I said he doesn’t have a lot of shame? Well one day he sent me to the local carryout to get a bag of ice for our cookout. When I got to the checkout the cashier girl looked at me rather strangely. I figured it was because I looked like I hadn’t showered in days, when she said “Uh. I think you’re supposed to take home some hot dog buns.” My father had called the carry out because apparently he forgot about cell phone communication. I shudder to think of how he described me: “Uh…yeah she’s got brown hair, is carrying a bag of ice, and looks like a hill jack. Tell her to get some hotdog buns.”

Pros: My parents are so entertaining and actually spoil me way more than they should. Most weekend mornings my dad gets up and makes a big fancy breakfast, and often times he breaks out my grandma’s recipe for carmel toast. Yes…it’s a good as it sounds…and no you can’t have the recipe. And he always makes me laugh…whether it’s intentional or because I catch him watching something on Lifetime Movie Network. And my mom takes care of me even though I’m admittedly too old for such things. She always asks me if there’s anything special I’d like for dinner or if I want to rent a pay-per-view movie with her (even though she always falls asleep before they’re over). I’ve also had a good time turning her into a fan of The Office (“Oh my God, that Dwight is so crazy!”), and I’ll miss watching it with her every night when I move away.

So do the cons of living at home outweigh the pros? Not really in the way I expected. I really shouldn’t be living at home because I do need to be responsible, get a job, and recreate my own adult life. And I know that time will come soon when I am able to do that. But while I’m struggling to make that happen I suppose having my parents as roommates isn’t as bad as it might appear. So if you have to move home, don’t be embarrassed. It happens. But try for a shorter tenure than me. Don’t drink too much. And if your parents are as cool as mine, thank them every once in awhile for welcoming you back into the nest.

2 comments:

Tyler said...

This is so sweet Sarah. Amen to enjoying what you have when you have it, even when it is not what you envisioned for yourself... I need to do that with grad school, which kicks my ass to no end. I hope our experience as roommates doesn't leave a perpetual bad taste in your mouth. We had some rough times, but I'll always think back to those times with fondness. Thanks for protecting me from and enjoying with me the big city that Columbus seemed when we first moved here so long ago. :)

SW said...

I'll never regret us living in Cbus together! We had amazing times and grew up so much. Those were undeniably some of the best (and hardest) years of my life...so far :)